Sustainable Labs Program in SDGE Territory
Willdan Energy Solutions, through a contract awarded by San Diego Gas & Electric® (SDG&E®), implements the Sustainable Labs Program (SLP) in the SDG&E service territory. The program offers customized energy-saving solutions for biotech and pharmaceutical laboratory customers along with full-service development, management, and implementation of energy-saving projects.
Willdan has more than two decades of experience in providing energy efficiency and comprehensive project management services.
- Energy savings project identification, savings calculations and forecasting, including return-on-investment (ROI) calculations
- ASHRAE Level 2 energy audits
- Request for Proposal (RFP) development and evaluation assistance
- Energy savings validated upon installation
- On-bill financing for qualifying customers, plus other incentive support and guidance
- No charge for program services
- Turnkey project support
- Contractor referrals
- Reduce energy usage and carbon emissions
- Help customers obtain incentive funds to offset implementation costs and improve ROI (for SDG&E-approved energy efficiency projects)
SLP is available to the biotech and pharmaceutical lab facilities listed below served by SDG&E. Services are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.*
- Research and Development in Biotechnology Facilities
- Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing Facilities
- Medicinal and Botanical Manufacturing Facilities
- Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences Facilities
* SLP is effective until funding is expended or through December 31 2016, whichever occurs first.
Representative Energy Efficiency Measures
Measures may include, but are not limited to:
- Show/hide measures
HVAC, Controls and Refrigeration
- Chiller replacements
- Central plant optimization
- Constant-to-variable-air-volume conversions
- Chilled-water, condenser-water, and refrigerant-pipe insulation
- Cooling-tower upgrades
- Install variable air volume fume hoods
- Low pressure drop air valves
- Laboratory exhaust air heat recovery system
- Install occupancy sensors and reduce laboratory air changes during unoccupied hours
- Implement supply fan static pressure reset on VAV AHUs
- Implement supply air temperature reset strategy on AHUs
- Install variable-frequency drives (VFDs) on process pumps
- Pump and fan replacements
- Kitchen-hood ventilation controls
- Window film and glazing
- Water-flow controls (laminars and showerheads)
- Reduce operating pressure on air compressors and disable air compressors during unoccupied hours
- Natural Gas–Saving Measures
- Boiler replacements and controls
- Boiler heat recovery
- Steam traps
- Interior/exterior LEDs
- Advanced controls
- Reduced wattage T-8’s
Customers in the SDG&E service territory are eligible to receive cash rebates and incentives to subsidize project costs. Willdan identifies energy-saving projects and associated rebates or incentives, then supports you at every step to achieve implementation and available rebates.
- Show/hide programs
A brief overview of key SLP incentive programs includes:
Energy Efficiency Business Rebates (EEBR)
EEBR offers cash rebates for upgrading to energy-efficient lighting, refrigeration and natural gas equipment. Please visit the SDG&E website (www.sdge.com) for the current EEBR catalog of rebate-eligible items.
Energy Efficiency Business Incentives (EEBI)
EEBI offers cash incentives based on the amount of energy (kilowatt hours or therms) saved when you retrofit existing equipment or install new high-efficiency equipment. All projects require pre-inspection, and the incentive amount is capped at 50 percent of the total implementation cost.
Through SLP we also help qualified healthcare customers obtain zero-percent, zero-out-of-pocket financing through SDG&E’s On-Bill Financing Program (OBF).
SDG&E now offers a 20 percent Comprehensiveness Bonus (capped at $25,000 per premise and $100,000 per customer). Please inquire for more details.
The Sustainable Labs Program is funded by California utility customers and administered by San Diego Gas & Electric Company (SDG&E®) under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission, through a contract awarded to Willdan Energy Solutions. California customers who choose to participate in this program are not obligated to purchase any additional services offered by the contractor. The trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.